Wednesday 27 January 2010

If I was Daphne Guiness.....

Couture Week is now in full swing in Paris, and like most of you I have had my eye firmly attached to style.com viewing and dissecting all the beautiful wears with my lovely flatmate. So far I have been both overawed and overwhelmed by the collections that have stormed down the Parisian catwalks. The recurring theme over the Armani Prive and Chanel shows was the delicate mercury that dripped from the models tiny frames.
But even with this commonality each show was so distinct. Chanel's collection was classic timeless chic sticking to the traditional Chanel suit and dresses that had clever and beautiful embellishments. The dresses flowed from molten silk adorned with moulded metal to cocooning capes and chiffon frills. Every time I go over the images I am struck by the details and beauty within this show, and these are my favourite picks;









OK so I may have just waxed lyrical about the Chanel show and don't get me wrong the term 'to die for' doesn't even come close. But my absolute favourite show so far has to have been Givenchy.
The mix of feminine-masculine tailoring, the use of ostrich feathers, sheer fabrics and lampshade hats gave an amazing versatility to this collection. For me Couture has to have an extreme and dreamlike quality to it but what I love about what Tisci has done is that he has created a show which has silhouettes and tenets that are wearable, although I may suggest leaving the lampshade hat at home. The strong deep blues, emerald greens and midnight blacks give a Gothic jewel box definition to this collection and if I was Daphne Guiness this would be my wardrobe...













images thankfully taken from style.com

No comments: